Accommodation (Respite Care, STA, MTA, SIL, SDA)

111CARE has different types of accommodation available to our participants

Assistance in Shared Living Arrangements – Supported Independent Living ( SIL)

These support items provide assistance with, or supervision of, tasks of daily life in a shared living environment, with a focus on developing the skills of each individual to live as autonomously as possible. The support is provided to each person living in the shared arrangement in accordance with their need.

What happens once supported independent living is in your plan?

You can contact us when supported independent living funds are approved by NDIS. We will work out with your support coordinator /Family member/ plan nominee, the hours and ratios of support required accordingly.

How many people can you share your support with?

Supported independent living is suitable for people who share some of their supports with other participants. It’s your choice how many people you share your home with. If you live with more than 2 other participants, there may also be times where you share more than one support worker. For example, one disability support worker might support 2 participants, including you. Or 2 disability support workers might support 4 participants, including you.

Short Term Accommodation and Assistance (including the provision of respite care)

STA/respite allows the opportunity for the participant to be supported by someone else whilst providing their carer with short term breaks from their usual caring responsibilities. The support items include all expenses in a 24-hour period including assistance with self-care or community access activities, accommodation, food and negotiated activities. Typically, NDIS fund up to 28 days of Short term accommodation per year and it you can use it in a block of up to 14 days at a time or for one weekend a month.). For longer-term arrangements, other options are likely to be more appropriate (e.g., Supported Independent Living or Medium-Term Accommodation).

Sometimes a short stay away from home:

  • gives you the chance to try new things
  • can be a place to make new friends or develop new skills
  • may help to maintain your current living situation by giving your informal supports a break.


Medium Term Accommodation (MTA)

There may be cases where a participant will require longer term transitional accommodation before moving into a more permanent home or arrangement (for example, after hospital discharge). MTA would be used for periods up to 90 days. Participants who stay in MTA are responsible for meeting their own food and everyday living costs from their own income rather than NDIS plan.

Who’s eligible for Medium Term Accommodation?

 You may be eligible for Medium Term Accommodation if you:

  • need somewhere to stay because of your disability support needs, and
  • have a confirmed long term housing solution, and
  • can’t move into your long-term housing solution because you’re waiting for your disability related supports to be ready. For example, you might be waiting for assistive technology or home modifications.


We can consider Medium Term Accommodation if you need somewhere to stay:

  • before your confirmed place in SDA is ready to move into
  • before you can move into a house and start receiving Supported Independent Living (SIL) funding or support with activities of daily living
  • before your home modifications are ready and you can move in
  • after leaving hospital, rehabilitation, aged care or a custodial setting. This is where you need somewhere to stay while you wait for your disability supports to be ready